The Monocon Nozzle Changer Mechanism (NCM) is a flow control device for use on Concast billet tundishes to control and shut off the flow of metal to each strand. The NCM system provides Concast management with additional operational control and flexibility such as:
- Extending tundish sequences by exchanging a worn or clogged metering nozzle with a new nozzle.
- Alternative metering nozzle sizes are used to facilitate casting speed changes as required.
- Using the ‘preloaded’ safety blank plate the metal stream can be shut off at the push of a button in an emergency situation.
- Safety is of paramount importance and the Monocon NCM minimises operational risks and provides a much safer environment.
- The safety ‘blank’ plate enables remote emergency shut off as required.
- Hydraulic power for smooth and rapid response.
NCM Design Features
The working refractory parts of the NCM include the upper round fixed nozzle and a replaceable metering nozzle.
Two plates are kept firmly in contact with each other by the means of compression or gas springs which operate by means of a lever principle.
Springs are mounted outboard of the metal stream to prevent excessive exposure to heat and a simple adapter plate is required to provide means of attachment to the tundish bottom. These adaptor plates are welded to the tundish bottom accordingly.