V2 Design Features
MSTM-V2 Design Features
The MSTM-V2 is a compact design, automatic ladle shroud manipulator with all axes of the machine powered. The machine can perform pre-programmed tasks with single button operation and consists of the following main components:
- Monocon Shroud Tube Manipulator V2 (MSTM-V2).
- Hydraulic Power.
- Electrical Control Console - PLC Control Panel to house the PLC along with associated power supply and Ethernet connection.
- Wired Operator Pendant (Optional Wireless Joystick is available).
NOTE: final positioning of the MSTM will require input from the operator to account for variation in collector nozzle position.
V2 Operational Benefits
MSTM-V2 Operational Benefits
- Maximum operational flexibility using fully powered machine.
- The MSTM has the ability to disengage the Slew drives so that when the machine is in “Dock” mode, there is no resistance to the slide gate operation. This is integral to ensuring correct operation of the gate and maintaining alignment of the ladle shroud.
- The ladle can be raised and lowered (where applicable) with the machine in “Dock” and the pre-set force will still be maintained with the shroud in position.
The exact operation of the MSTM-V2 can be adapted to suit specific plant requirements. Typically the MSTM-V2 will be controlled via a wired pendant or optional wireless joystick. The MSTM can also be operated via the control console. A typical operating procedure is as follows:
- Move the MSTM to the “Load” position.
- Load the shroud.
- Move the MSTM to the “Ready” position.
- Use the wired pendant or wireless joystick to achieve any fine positioning to correctly align the shroud and collector nozzle if required.
- Activate the “Dock” function.
- Slide gate can now be opened and casting can commence.
At the end of a ladle sequence, the shroud can either be cleaned using the “Burnout” function or replaced using the “Load” function.
V2 Safety Benefits
MSTM-V2 Safety Benefits
Safe equipment and operation is paramount. The Monocon MSTM-V2 machine is built to the latest applicable standards. Full training in all aspects of the equipment and operation will be provided as part of our Monocon quality assurance machine commissioning program.
- Emergency Shut-off.
- Operator is positioned away from the heat source. Greater shroud selection is possible.
- Fully powered lifting and manipulation ensures no manual intervention, lifting and/or undue strain.
- Removes the requirement for the operator to be in a hazardous position under the ladle.
Monocon provide a multitude of safety interlock facilities to enable safe integration with the caster operation. This interlock will be incorporated to the PLC operation. Safety systems are to be determined with customer but will typically include; Ladle Movement, Tundish Movement, Emergency Stops and Low Pressure. The MSTM-V2 can be arranged to perform agreed movements in response to specific caster events and vice versa.
V2 Technical Features
MSTM-V2 Technical Features
The machine is a fabricated mild steel construction with access covers where necessary. The MSTM-V2 is mounted on a base plate which will be fixed in place on the caster floor.
The Electrical Control System will typically consist of the following:
- PLC Panel - typical supply; 220/110V single phase.
- Control Console - typical supply; 220/110V single phase.
- Inverter Panel - typical supply; 415V, 3 Phase, 50 Hz.
- Wired Operator Pendant (Wireless Joystick is Optional).
The Hydraulic power supply will use an appropriate flame proof safe lube.
V2 Program Features
MSTM-V2 Program Features
An articulated jib with dual drive provides the slew and forward/backward movement and the boom can be raised/lowered and rotated to allow correct positioning of the shroud.
- Slew 1 - Electric Motor driven movement.
- Slew 2 - Electric Motor driven movement.
- Boom Rotate - Hydraulic driven movement .
- Boom Raise/Lower - Hydraulic driven movement.
The MSTM-V2 can be programmed with pre-set functions as required by the plant. This can be achieved by any combination of axis movements. Typically functions include:
- Park: a safe park position of the MSTM-V2 away from the movements of the tundish and ladle.
- Load: a pre-set position from which the shroud can be loaded or for the machine to automatically collect the shroud from a storage cassette (where applicable).
- Ready: the position of the shroud under the collector nozzle, prior to “Dock”.
- Dock: the upwards force from the rai
se/lower cylinder will be maintained at a pre-set docking pressure to hold the shroud in position during casting. Typically, the dock force is adjustable between 500-5000N.
- Burnout: a pre-set position to allow the safe lancing of the ladle shroud or positioning under an automatic burnout station (where applicable).
- Stop: allows the machine to be stopped part way through a function. This enables the operator to temporarily stop movement if required and then continue when suitable.
V2 Supply Options
MSTM-V2 Supply Options
- The Monocon Shroud Tube Manipulator V2 can be configured and/or customised to suit the clients requirements.
- Available in a semi-automatic variant (see MSTM-V1).
- Optional Hydraulic Power Unit (See the image on the right). This unit is supplied as a 'plug-and'play' framed assembly including all the integral filters and componentary.
- The machine can be positioned remotely using an optional wireless joystick.
- All surfaces can be painted in accordance with the customer specification.
- Monocon can provide vibration sensors in the Shroud Tube Manipulator to provide early detection of slag flow in the shroud tube. This optional supply feature thereby provides an early-warning system which can significantly contribute to improving the quality of the steel produced.
The Shroud Support Ring (example shown to right), can be designed to suit customer requirements. This can include open or closed ring design and must be determined prior to order. The holder fork connects the Shroud Support ring to the boom. It is designed to be replaceable in case of damage due to steel splashing. The section should be kept on stock as a spare at all times.
- Alternate PLC Panel options are available such as an Allen Bradley unit with Ethernet/IP protocol or Siemens PLC with Profinet.
- UPS - mains power spike/failure protection.
Please contact our UK technical team for further information.